Sunday, June 14, 2009

Walk Light, for these are the badlands

Spent the past few days in the badlands national park. We've since moved to the black hills area and are checking out some caves. We did a lot of hiking in the bad lands area and one the routes was slippery and wet along the side of a cliff, it felt pretty dangerous... and I'm sure it was. It gave us a great view however, and despite the bad light qualities at the time it was still definitely worth the walk. The badlands were considered good land to the native Lakota's but the french ultimately gave it the name "terre mauvais" meaning literally bad land because it was so hard to cross.

After all that hiking my shoulders are aching cause I was carrying my gear. I met a bunch of people on one of the hikes which was about 6.4 miles so it was nice to have some company while walking. Today we're going into the wind caves which have boxwork that can only be seen here or in Russia. We figured we might as well take advantage of that and see what it's all about.

I haven't had the chance to shower in about 5 days so hopefully today we'll be stopping by the hot springs and taking a swim. We're probably just going to relax today cause we need to catch up on rest. Last night there was a huge thunder storm which went on right above us for hours and hours. I went out to photograph it and came in to sleep but it was so loud that it took ages. My gear has been through alot already with the mud and dust at the badlands and tons of rain so I'm fairly confident in saying that nikon certainly weather seals it's body's properly!.

Tomorrow we'll head out early and go to deadwood w
hich is a wild west styled town. From there we'll take a scenic drive up to the devil's tower which is this amazing rock mound (google it i'm sure you'll see what I mean it's hard to explain). We'll eventually get to the old abandonned sheppards monument which is something I really want to see, and from there we'll move on to
 Wyoming.

Our route has now changed and after wyoming we'll be going up to montana to check out glacier national park.

Here are a few photos of the badlands, nothing great till I get home.
Dan

2 comments:

  1. dude, I don't know what that ladder thing is, but so long as you're alive, keep these awesome stories and pics coming

    ReplyDelete
  2. it was one of the hikes we went on. It was definitely hairy trying to do so.

    D

    ReplyDelete